There are so many times we feel frustrated with other people. And especially now, many of us are even more “on edge”. That driver who cuts us off, or worse – takes our parking spot when we clearly have our blinker on indicating we are waiting for that spot! The person in line in front of us at the store who is taking waaaaay too long going through all their coupons when all you want to do is buy your milk and bread – just two items and you have to wait!
These moments can be so frustrating and they are real. But if we change our perspective, and wear our “mensch hat” in these moments, it can lesson our frustration and help calm us down in these few moments instead of reacting poorly to that person and increasing our own stress.
Here are 5 tips you can try during these moments:
- Put your empathy hat on. Try to think that this other person who is frustrating you is going through their own stresses and focus on feeling for them vs being annoyed yourself.
- Step away from the situation. Take a 10 minute walk to clear your head.
- Turn on an upbeat “feel good” playlist or song on your phone.
- Breathe. Take a few deep breaths.
- Think of a happy moment in the past couple of days.