Nothing brings comfort like a good chicken soup! This is Elisa's grandmother's recipe that has nourished many people over the years.
2 4-lb (4.4kg) chickens cut-up
2 onions, peeled and quartered
6 garlic cloves, peeled
4 stalks celery, trimmed and cut into sticks
5 large carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
3 large parsnips, peeled and cut into sticks
1 kohlrabi, peeled and cut into cubes (may omit if cannot find in the store)
1 bunch parsley
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp chicken flavored soup & seasoning mix consommé (optional)
- Remove any fat from the chicken pieces. Place in a large pot and add water to cover chicken (about 4 inches above the chicken). Bring to a boil and skim off the scum that rises to the top. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Add onions, garlic cloves, celery, carrots, parsnips, turnip and parsley and salt. Continue to simmer for another hour.
- Use a large slotted spoon to remove chicken bones and parsley. Add the chicken consommé if desired (this gives the soup an extra little kick of flavor). Add more salt as desired.
- Slice off the meat from the chicken breasts and use to make another recipe. Either use right away or place in a Ziploc bag with a marinade and put in the freezer. It’s the bones that make the broth!
- This soup freezes very well. Let cool completely, then pour into large Ziploc bags and lay flat in freezer to stack them.
- Recipe can be halved if desire a smaller batch.