Most of us make New Year’s Resolutions. Losing weight, exercising more, eating more healthy. They are often inwardly focused. But what if we also made resolutions that could have a positive impact on others? Resolutions that help others, and at the same time make US happier. There’s no better feeling than seeing how even a small gesture can make someone else feel better, which in turn makes us feel good. They don’t have to be overly ambitious or time consuming - simple changes that you commit to making that over time will become seemless and part of your daily lives.
Here are a few ideas of New Year’s Resolutions to make for yourself this year:
- Smile more often, make eye contact with people you don’t know as you go about your day.
- Be more patient. When someone is irritating you, take a deep breath and let it pass.
- Reach out to a friend or family member whom you haven’t been in touch with in awhile.
- Practise empathy - try not to take things personally when someone you know, or even don’t know, acts not so nicely or snaps at you - put yourself in their shoes - perhaps they are going through a really rough time, you never know. Take a deep breath, and be kind in return instead of snapping back.
- Let the driver pass in front of you, or even take the parking spot you had your eye on!
- Let someone go ahead of you in line at the store if you see they are in a rush.
- Offer to open the door for an elderly person or someone with young children.
- Check in with a friend who is going through a hard time.