This is Elisa's mom's recipe for baked hamburgers. They are so delicious that every time she visits she makes a double batch so we can freeze some for a quick re-heat dinner at another time. This dish is perfect for taking over to a friend or family member who could use a little help when they are going through a rough time. So yummy!
Bubie Linda's 'Famous' Hamburgers
What You Need:
2 lbs ground meat (beef, chicken or turkey)
2/3 cups matzo meal (or bread crumbs)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp hot & spicy sauce (any variety)
1 medium onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cups chicken broth (prepared or using a bouillon cube and boiling water)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix the ground meat, egg, matzo meal or bread crumbs, garlic, salt, pepper, hot sauce and form into 8 patties.
- Heat oil in frying pan on medium heat and fry the patties on both sides so they are lightly browned.
- Place the burgers in an oven proof baking dish.
- Fry the onions and sliced mushrooms in the pan and place on top of the burgers.
- Pour the chicken stock over the burgers - about 1"-1 1/2" in the pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
Serve with pasta, rice or couscous.